Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oh the things I do to get him to eat

I want my kids to have a healthy relationship with food when they are adults.  But right now... right now they just don't know what's good for them.  It's important to me that Lucas tries the food that we're eating.  Sometimes trying it is good enough, but on days he's been merely snacking, it's not.  So I bribe.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Tonight we had baked drumsticks, quinoa salad, and watermelon.  Lucas ate a bunch of watermelon, but none of the chicken or quinoa.  If we have treats planned then I can bribe him with those.  But there was no dessert tonight.  So tonight I... yes you can judge me... bribed him with TV.  I said he can watch an episode of Magic School Bus if he eats some of his quinoa salad.  And it worked, once he got going -- he at ALL of it.
TO




Easy and Quick Quinoa Salad:
Rinse a cup of quinoa in cold water (I mixed regular and red quinoa) and drain well.  In a saucepan combine quinoa,1 and 3/4 C cold water, and a teaspoon of salt.  Bring to a boil.  Then turn heat to low and cover.  Cook for 12 minutes.  
Rinse and drain a can of black beans, sprinkle with red wine vinegar (1.5 T or so), dice a cucumber and two or three tomatoes.  If in a hurry, I rinse the hot cooked quinoa in cold water to cool it down for the salad (drain all the water really really well).  Combine diced vegetables, beans, quinoa, sprinkle with olive oil, squeeze half of a lime (if you have it), add a teaspoon of ground cumin and salt to taste.  

4 comments:

Verenice said...

That face is Zach's. I won't judge. I might have to try t.v. with Eli too.

Nastia said...

That's a cute face!

Darcy Taylor said...

I have avoided quinoa for a long time, because the last time I ate some, I would have sworn that it made my throat feel... weird. Not itchy, but weird. A bit sore, maybe. So today I made it to try this recipe, but I ate a small bite and waited to see what would happen. Same feeling. Argh! Why do I have so many food sensitivities! Anyway, I cooked some brown jasmine rice and used that in place of the quinoa and the salad turned out great. I am eating it right now :) I am a bit strange, but this is the kind of thing I would eat for breakfast.

Ksenia said...

Darcy, I wonder what is it that's bothering you in there... it's gluten free. I'm glad you were able to make an alteration adn still enjoy it! :) You are clever like that.